Sunday, June 23, 2013

Wedding/Bridal Shower

I should probably start off by saying that I’m very behind in Wedding Blogging. I had every intention to blog about every step along the way from the flowers to the menu to ups and downs along the way. My own stress and busy schedule didn’t seem to want to follow along though. So here I am. Two months and 1 day till the Big Day. 


Today I’m feeling better about it. Yesterday? Oh man. Yesterday morning and all last week I was a boiling pot of stress and nerves simmering under the surface, just waiting to boil over. Any question regarding the Wedding or Shower got your head cut off quicker than a guillotine. “I don’t know” and “I’ll figure it out later” were my standard go to. 

Saturday started off bright and early. Months ago I made an appointment with a local make-up artist to do my trial run for the Wedding on the day of my Shower. It really was a great idea. I got to see how well and long the make-up lasted ALL day with all the pictures and hugging and kisses. I even got my Princess on with fake eye lashes on the top lids. 

The make-up was beautiful and the girl who did it was amazing; even if she did show up at my house at 7:00, for a 7:30 appointment. Yes, she was early. I hadn’t even had my coffee yet when I saw a car pull in the driveway. I was in the middle of trying to clean up my kitchen from its usual Friday night shit storm. (I live with 3 grown men and do the dishes every night. Friday’s I let sit till chores on Sat morning). So I was slightly embarrassed that my kitchen wasn’t clean when she showed up and that I didn’t even have time to put on a bra! 

She was so down to earth and very easy to talk to that I soon forgot (sort of) of the mess and my lack of bra. (Cause I probably won’t have on for the Wedding day morning). 

After she left around 8:30, I still had five hundred million things to do before I left for the shower at 11:15. My make up was done, but my house was still a wreck and I had the Aunts coming over after the shower to help me address the Wedding Invitations. So I cleaned the kitchen and both bathrooms completely. Yes, I was scrubbing toilets on the day of the Shower. Ben was sleeping soundly while Dad and lil bro were gone at work. I left Ben to sleep, knowing it was his only day this weekend. He had to work Sunday. 

After cleaning up (didn’t vacuum) the best I could without sweating my ass and make-up off, I had to deal with technology malfunctions. I was trying to print a list of guests for my BFF and Maid of Honor, to make things easy for her to write who brought what gift. This is where my frustration and stress really start to elevate. 

My printer has been out of ink for two weeks (yes, I should have got on that). I had ordered refurbished ink the week before, but had to send it back because it didn’t fit my machine. (I should have gone to the store after that). So I tried to use Dad’s computer… and wow. The technology Gods were not on my side. His brand new computer and printer are not user friendly. After calling Dad to get in password to get into the computer, I had a couple issues before I could even pull up my excel spreadsheet. 

Finally I get everything set the way I want it and hit print… only to be told that his printer cannot be found even though I’m looking at it TWO feet away. It’s going on 10:00 at this point and I’m beyond frustrated. I finally say “fuck it” and leave it alone. I need to do my hair before we leave in an hour. 

My hair was relatively easy. I showered the night before and put it up in a tight braid while it was wet. So that morning all I had to do was let it out, throw in 2lbs of mouse and pull some of it back out of my face with fancy twists and bobby pins. Put on a VERY cute white dress and I looked every inch like a bride to be. 

I had a few minutes to cool off under my fan and then it was out the door with the BFF to the shower… or to where I THOUGHT the shower was being held… yeah..

And there’s where my stress level tipped and toppled over. We went to the wrong hotel. 

At this point I’ve stopped caring about much of anything but my stress level and how freaking nervous I was. I started smoking. Yes smoking. The BFF still smoke cigarettes, though I quit four years ago. At that point in time, I didn’t care. I needed something to take the edge off both my nerves and screaming starving stomach. It did help both of those.

Soon we made it to the correct hotel and arrived 15 minutes late. I had every intention of being there 15 minutes early to greet people as they came in. So I could talk to people and slowly get acclimated with everyone’s attention on me for the next three hours. But that didn’t happen and as soon I walked into this gorgeous atrium full of plants and people I was accosted by friends and family and I turned around and walked out.

Yes. I had to leave. I was still so jittery from the car ride and getting lost that I need alcohol ASAP. My girlfriends/bridesmaids were amazing though. They went to the bar and got me a Vodka Lemonade while I stood outside the room talking to the Aunt who has helped me plan everything. Between her and my two girls and the alcohol, I finally calmed down enough to head back in and start greeting my guests. 

Soon we were sitting down to salad and lunch. My two girls and my and cousin surrounding me while everyone else were at other tables were helped me relax and start to have a good time. 

Before I knew it, it was time for presents. My girls got me another drink before this and soon I was the center of attention again. Half way thru presents Ben showed up to loud cheers and clapping. With him by my side for the second half, I was golden. 

Before I knew it, I was saying ‘good bye’ to everyone and my girls were loading up Ben’s pick-up truck with my haul. 

Now that’s it’s all over and done with, I’m calmer. My BFF and cousin have decided that I need a Xanax for the Wedding Day. At this point, I’m whole heartedly agreeing. I’ve got 2 months to try and relax before I’m at the Stress Tower again.


  1. Alcohol is a bride-to-be's best moderation. Hang in there!

  2. Just catching up on reading. OMG did you love your fake lashes?
    I'm glad I skipped having a traditional wedding cause I'd have lost it!